Monday, October 28, 2013

Chocolate Oreo Doodles



When I first saw these cookies I couldn't wait to find a reason to make them. My monthly special ed team meeting was the perfect excuse with so many chocolate lovers in attendance. 

The chocolate cookies are rich, fudgy, and chewy. They're speckled with chocolate chips and I bet would be even more incredible with the addition of roughly chopped cookies. The dough gets rolled in chocolate cookie crumbs (I used generic Oreos) which give the outside a crunchy and slightly crumbly texture. I imagine this would be good with just about any crumbled hard cookie (like thin mints, vanilla wafers, etc). 

I was thinking of renaming the cookie and calling them earthquake cookies, because when they bake the tops crack open and expose the cookie inside. I also thought of calling them dirt cookies because they remind me of the dirt pudding cups from my childhood. I decided not to rename these though with respect to the original author who posted a naming contest to her Facebook and Oreo Doodles won.

Without further ado, I bring you: Oreo Doodles

Ingredients
4 ounces of chopped bitter or semisweet chocolate, or 4oz chocolate chips
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
12 Oreos, finely crushed

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment part and set aside. 

2. In a double boiler melt the  4 oz of chocolate with the butter. Or melt using the microwave method (microwave for 30 seconds on 50% power, stir, and repeat until smooth). Set aside for a few minutes to cool (but not harden)

3. In a medium bowl whisk to combine the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda. Set aside. 

4. When the chocolate is cool transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer and incorporate the sugar with the paddle attachment on low. 

5. Add eggs one at a time. Add vanilla. Mix until combined. 

6. Add half the flour mixture and stir to incorporate. Ass the remaining flour and stir on low. Mix in chocolate chips. 

(Note: at this point the dough is done but will still be very soft, that's ok)

7. Using a cookie scoop, scoop a heaping tablespoon of dough into the Oreo crumbs. Roll to evenly coat, then place on a baking sheet spaces 2" apart (the cookies will spread quite a bit during baking). 

8. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the tops start to crack. Do not over bake. (Note: when I made these, I took them out even though hey did not look "done"

Recipe from Gimme Some Oven.

And here is her pretty picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment