Sunday, September 1, 2013

Sunday Funday 9/1/13


Happy Labor Day weekend everyone!  I hope you are enjoying some nice weather and relaxing activities with the long weekend.  Here in Cincinnati, we had what I can only describe as a small hurricane come through on Saturday, and then it just rained all day.  Good for flowers, bad for cookout in the park.

On my mind:

1. College football season has officially started! The Buckeyes played Buffalo and won. I know it's just an out of conference game, but I love watching college football and there are some high expectations with Urban Meyer this season.

2. I less love my double oven. Don't get me wrong, I still love having the double, but I went to bake cookies this week and my normal baking sheet didn't fit in it - long or short ways. Luckily I had a couple older pans that were small enough to fit, so cookie crisis averted.  Now I (and my mom) are on a quest to find small but good quality baking pans.

3.  The AC was out at school all week and it was the hottest week of summer here in Cinci with temperatures in the 90s -  it felt like we were melting. I know that other schools don't have AC, but those schools are usually equipped with fans and windows that open (ours open out like an awning so you can't really get a breeze). I was finally fixed by Friday though and I know we're all happy to have it back. #Firstworldproblems, I know.

4. It's Labor Day weekend! What kinds of fun things did you do? We watched football, went to a cookout (I brought cheesecake stuffed strawberries - coming soon), relaxed, and bought a washer and a dryer for the house. I also started a new book, Reconstructing Amelia, which is about a teenage girl in a NYC prep school who dies, and her mother who's trying to figure out what happened and who her daughter really was.

5. Miley Cyrus on the VMAs. What. Was. She. Thinking?  Must've been all that Molly. My eyes can never unsee.

Bookmarks:
1. Cupcake Puppy Chow by Sally's Baking Addiction.  The unique thing about this recipe is that it doesn't use cake mix, like a lot of other cupcake puppy chow recipes.

2. Hot Chocolate Donuts by Love From the Oven. I love all things hot chocolate, and last year I even made hot chocolate cookies for a cookie exchange party.  When the weather turns cold, I will definitely whip up a batch of these.

3. Caramel Toffee Dip by I Heart Nap Time. Looks like it would be excellent to dip with apples, graham crackers, or vanilla wafers.

Things I love:
1.  Netflix and Orange is the New Black.  The Hubbo and I watched the entire first season in one week.

2.  This chocolate chip cookie recipe. I know I've posted about it on other occasions, but this time I chunked my own chocolate from a block I bought at Cincinnati Cake and Candy, used homemade Tahitian vanilla extract which has a slight cherry-chocolate aroma, topped them off with a light sprinkling of espresso brava sea salt, which has a coffee essence.

3. This pineapple peeler-corer-slicer. I meant to mention it last week when I talked about how good the fresh pineapple seems to be lately, but I forgot.  It makes slicing a pineapple a cinch - all you do is chop off the top and the bottom then use the slicer like you would if you had an apple slicer.  It peels the skin off, cores out the middle, and leaves you with two halves of core-free and skin-free pineapple.

4. The Bearded Iris. I've followed Leslie's blog for awhile after I stumbled upon a post about her son's speech impediments and a hilarious IEP meeting.  Leslie is a humorist and her blog is hilarious, vulgar, and real. Her posts are a nice break from the day and I suggest checking it out.

5. Benefit High Beam cream. Now part of my make up routine, this cream has an easy to use, nail polish-like applicator. I apply it to my cheek bones, dab a bit on the inner corners of my eyes, and use it to highlight my brow bone. It's kinda pricey for make up (but hey, I'm pretty frugal) but I can't find a generic I like as much.

Don't forget to follow SYHO or subscribe to my posts through email, or follow me on Pinterest
Cheers to the first day of a new school year and the beginning of the Thanksgiving break countdown.
from SomeECards

No comments:

Post a Comment