Sunday, October 6, 2013

Sunday Funday 10-6-13

What's up!? It's Sunday again.

 1. What an amazing football weekend! My school had their homecoming and actually won.  We almost botched it in the 4th, but an amazing interception kept us in the lead.  I made really cute sugar cookies for the cheerleaders and they loved them.  When I made these, I used all vanilla extract instead of orange and/or almond extract - and I definitely loved the vanilla flavor they had. Next time I make a batch, I think I will reduce or omit the baking powder, because my cookies rose and spread just a little bit.

2.  Speaking of football, OSU had an amazing game against Northwestern.  What an exciting game - I love when my Buckeyes can pull off a win and keep the game interesting!

3.  I'm so excited it's October and all the great things that can be baked with pumpkin.  Seeds, breads, muffins, pancakes, the list is endless.  What are your favorite pumpkin recipes?

4. We had an awesome Saturday hanging out at our friends farm! Another couple was there and brought a bow and arrow, so we spent a good bit of time shooting arrows at some stacked hay bales with a spray painted target on it.  Turns out, I'm not too accurate with a bow and arrow, so in case of zombie apocalypse, I'm gonna need a better weapon of choice.  Still, lots of fun hanging out :)

5. Next weekend is my husband's rugby team's breast cancer fundraiser.  It's a cause that is near and dear to the team, as one of the woman players passed away from the disease.  My friend Amy and I are baking some amazing treats to sell as bake sale items.  I'm making beer marshmallows and some sort of cupcake.  For the cupcake, I'm stuck in a three way tie: chocolate cupcakes with a cookies and cream frosting (pretty standard), brown sugar cupcakes with maple buttercream and candied bacon, or salted popcorn cupcakes (complete with popcorn flour and popcorn scented milk) with salted caramel buttercream and caramel corn topping.  What do you think? Feel free to vote in the comment section below!

Bookmarks:
1. Chocolate Filled Pizzelles by Dolce Pizzelle Cookie Company.
Not an actually recipe, but definitely an inspiration.  I imagine making your favorite pizzelle recipe and while they are still warm off the press wrapping them in half around a dowel or chopstick, letting them cool, filling them with ganache or any other delicious filling, and dipping in chocolate to seal closed.

2.  Ham and Cheese Waffles by Epicurious.
Definitely a more savory recipe.  Seems like it would be a good and interesting twist on a classic sandwich.  This might be good dipped in a sweet barbeque or honey mustard sauce.  Yum!

3. Chevron Cake Roll by And Cute.
What a cute way to give a peak to what kind of flavor is hiding in a cake roll! And Cute made pink zigzags and filled her cake roll with a strawberry and whipped cream filling.  I've never made a cake roll before, but when I do I definitely like the idea of decorating the outside - chevron, stripes, polka dots.... the options are endless!

Don't forget to follow me and Sweet Your Heart Out on Pinterest

Have a fantastic week, ya'll!

funny-trail-mix-MandMs-obstacles
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment