Monday, June 11, 2012

DIY Colored Sugar

Difficulty: Easy
Time consuming: No


I saw a really interesting post on Pinterest the other day about making edible glitter.  I was pretty excited because even though I didn't have a project in mind, I could already see my cookies and cupcakes sparkling.  I followed the pin to the original site and it showed bowls of colorful and glittery glitter.  Using salt.  Eh, not so great for decorating sweets.  But another pinner had commented on it saying you could do it with sugar. 

So why not?  I measured 1/4 cup of sugar into a bowl and added 1/2 teaspoon of  liquid food coloring (I did mostly red with some drops of yellow), mixed until there was no more white, and baked on a foil lined baking sheet at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.  I was pretty sure the sugar was gonna melt together and I'd throw the whole thing away.  To my surprise, the sugar dried nicely with an awesome tint of red.  I sifted the sugar through a fine wire mesh sieve and stored in an airtight container.  Colored sugar can be pricey at stores and it's nice to know I can make my own at home!


1
2
3
4
Ta da!


Adapted from Planetpals Craft Page

No comments:

Post a Comment